Recent additions, changes and updates to Don's Maps


Navigation


Back to Don's Maps

Back to Dolni Vestonice / Unterwisternitz main page


Südmären - Southern Moravia





All material on this page is the sole property of Fritz Lange, and he owns the sole copyright. It is used here by his kind permission.




Sudmären


A map of the area of the "Pollauer Berge" generated from a CD and modified, so that you see all German and Czech names. A loop of the Thaya or Dyje River to the north of the border of Lower Austria in the south and the Pálava are the scene of the story told in this book.

For centuries, the fate of this region was determined in the princely palaces of Mikulov, Valtice and Lednice by the Dietrichstein and Liechtenstein families, and this influence extends to the present day. In this part of Southern Moravia up until 1945 German was the main language spoken, and so in this map, the names are entered in both languages to facilitate orientation on trips within the region, and to relate to the older literature.

Der Thayabogen im Norden, die Grenze zu Niederösterreich im Süden und die Pollauer Berge bilden den Schauplatz der in diesem Buch erzählten Geschichte. Über Jahrhunderte wurden in den Fürstenschlössern von Nikolsburg, Feldsberg und Eisgrub von den Familien Dietrichstein und Liechtenstein die Geschicke dieses Gebietes bestimmt; ihr Einfluss reicht bis in die heutige Zeit. In diesem Teil Südmährens wurde bis 1945 überwiegend deutsch gesprochen und so sind in dieser Karte die Ortsnamen in beiden Sprachen eingetragen, um die Orientierung bei Ausflügen zu erleichtern und den Bezug zu älterer Literatur herzustellen.

Photo: © Fritz Lange
Source: A map of the area of the "Pollauer Berge" generated from a CD and modified by Fritz Lange.




Here is the map as a pdf file.

This should allow the user to print the map as a single page on all computers and printers using the free Adobe Reader program.

Other programs and browsers may open the file, but it is best to use Adobe Reader to print it, since other programs tend to chop bits off.

Sudmären

An overview across the border from the "Kreuzberg" in Lower Austria to the Pollauer Berge. You can see Nikolsburg in the centre, the "Heiliger Berg" at the right and the highest mountain, the "Maidenberg" with the transmitting station on top. Even the ruins of the "Maidenburg" can be seen.

Ein besonders guter Blick auf Nikolsburg und die Pollauer Berge bietet sich vom Kreuzberg bei Kleinschweinbarth. Der Gipfel des Maidenbergs trägt heute eine Sendestation, knapp daneben liegt die Maidenburg, der Turold und rechts der Heilige Berg mit seinen Kreuzwegstationen und der Bergkirche. Galgenteich und Galgenberg liegen im Vordergrund.

Photo: © Fritz Lange




Sudmären
One of the most interesting and beautiful landscapes of Southern Moravia, the area around the Pálava with its villages and towns, its castles in Nikolsburg (Mikulov), Feldsberg (Valtice) and Eisgrub (Lednice) and the vast areas of artificial dams and reservoirs on the Thaya (Dyje) lies along the former border between Moravia and Austria.

Fritz Lange, who is known to his many dedicated readers for his illustrated books "Von Böhmen nach Wien", "Der Wiener Neustädter Kanal" and "Vom Dachstein zur Rax", draws a very vivid and personal picture of his former homeland.

With more than 220 mostly previously unpublished photographs from public and private collections, the author invites, on the one hand, a confrontation with the turbulent and dramatic history of Southern Moravia, and on the other, he documents with actual color photographs the contemporary beauty and uniqueness of this land. This book brings back memories and invites you to discover the new and the unknown.

Eine der interessantesten und schönsten Landschaften Südmährens ist das Gebiet um die Pollauer Berge mit seinen Dörfern und Städten, seinen Schlössern in Nikolsburg (Mikulov), Feldsberg (Valtice) und Eisgrub (Lednice) und den riesigen Flächen künstlicher Teiche und Stauseen an der Thaya sowie entlang der ehemaligen Grenze zwischen Mähren und Österreich. Fritz Lange, vielen Lesern durch seine Bildbände "Von Böhmen nach Wien", "Der Wiener Neustädter Kanal" und "Vom Dachstein zur Rax" bekannt, entwirft ein sehr lebendiges und persönliches Bild seiner ehemaligen Heimat. Mit mehr als 220 großteils bisher unveröffentlichen Fotos aus öffentlichen und privaten Sammlungen lädt der Autor einerseits zur Auseinandersetzung mit der wechselvollen und dramastischen Geschichte Südmährens ein, andererseits dokumentiert er mit aktuellen Farbaufnahmen auch die heutige Schönheit und Einzigartigkeit dieses Landstriches. Dieses Buch weckt Erinnerungen und lädt ein, Neues und Unbekanntes zu entdecken.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären
Every first Sunday in September, the "Black Madonna" is carried in a procession to St. Sebastian's Church of the Holy Mountain in Nikolsburg.

The "Black Madonna", made of cedar, was brought here in 1623 by Cardinal Franz Dietrichstein to a newly built "Santa Casa" after the pattern of Loreto in Italy, as the Roman Catholic Faith was restored in this area.

The girls and boys wear the traditional costume of Croats, who in the 16th Century settled in South Moravia after fleeing the Turks.

An jedem ersten Sonntag im September wird die "Schwarze Madonna" in einer Prozession zur Sebastianskirche auf den Nikolsburger Heiligen Berg getragen. Die "Schwarze Madonna" aus Zedernholz brachte 1623 Kardinal Franz von Dietrichstein in eine neu gebaute "Casa Santa" nach dem Muster von Loreto in Italien, um den römisch katholischen Glauben wieder herzustellen. Die Mädchen und Burschen tragen die traditionelle Tracht von Kroaten, die sich im 16. Jahrhundert auf der Flucht vor Türken in Südmähren angesiedelt haben.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären


Eisgrub-Bahnhof-1901

This photo was taken at Eisgrub/Lednice in 1901, when the local railway from Lundenburg/Breclav was opened. Fritz Lange's Greatgrandfather Josef Grigar moved from Vienna to Eisgrub and was the first station-master there.

Das Foto von 1901 zeigt den Endbahnhof Eisgrub der Flügelbahn von Lundenburg nach Eisgrub, die in diesem Jahr eröffnet wurde. Der erste Stationsvorsteher war Josef Grigar, der Urgroßvater von Fritz Lange, der damals von Wien nach Eisgrub versetzt wurde.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären


Eisgrub-Bahnhof-2008

The trees beside the track cannot disturb the railway-operation! The little railway-station with coloured bricks is still in use today! The bricks came from the Liechtenstein brick factory in Unter-Themenau/Postorna.

Die Bäume neben dem Gleis können den Bahnbetrieb nicht stören! Der kleine Bahnhof aus bunten, glasierten Ziegeln ist bis heute in Funktion! Die Ziegel kamen damals aus der "Johann von und zu Liechtenstein'schen Ziegelfabrik" in Unter-Themenau.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären


Eisgrub-Minarett 1

The most famous building in Eisgrub/Lednice is probably the minaret. It is 60 metres high and stand as a viewing point at the end of the big park. Construction started in 1797 in the marshy meadows of the Thaya River.

Das bekannteste Gebäude von Eisgrub ist wahrscheinlich das 60 Meter hohe Minarett, das 1797 in dem sumpfigen Thaya-Auen als Blickpunkt am Ende des großen Parks begonnen wurde.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären





Eisgrub-Minarett 2

Joseph Hardtmuth (1758-1816) was the architect of this minaret and stands in service for the princes of Liechtenstein. He was also one of the inventors of the pencil lead.

Architekt des Minaretts war der fürstlich Liechtenstein'sche Baumeister Joseph Hardtmuth (1758-1816), der auch als einer der Erfinder der Bleistiftmine bekannt ist.

Photo: © Fritz Lange


Sudmären
Bischofwart-Grenzschloss

The former Liechtenstein-properties were on both sides of the border between Austria and Moravia. As symbol of the connection of both countries Prince Johann I erected exactly on the border this "border-masion" with one wing lying in Austria, the other lying in Moravia. After World War I Czechoslovakia occupied this part of Austria and got it 1921, so the mansion today lies completely in Czech territory.

Der ehemalige Besitz der Fürsten Liechtenstein lag auf beiden Seiten der Grenze zwischen Österreich und Mähren. Als Symbol der Verbundenheit beider Länder ließ Fürst Johann I. 1836 genau auf der Grenzlinie dieses Grenzschloss erbauen, dessen eine Seite in Österreich, die andere Seite in Mähren stand. Als nach dem 1. Weltkrieg die Tschechoslowakei diesen Teil von Österreich besetzte und 1921 auch zugesprochen bekam, kam das Schloss komplett auf tschechisches Gebiet zu liegen.

Photo: © Fritz Lange







Back to Don's Maps